RECIPE: Makes 8 Servings
Classic Vegan Pie Crust
- 2.5 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Vegan Butter (solid, cold)
- 0.5 cup Ice Cold Water
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
Steps: 10 minutes to prep, 1 hour to chill (or overnight), 15 minutes bake time.
- Start by sifting all purpose flour and salt into a bowl or a food processor.
- Cut in the cold vegan butter either by blitzing in your food processor or by hand with a pastry cutter, you’ll know when you’re done when the flour looks like the consistency of sand.
- Add in your iced water and either blitz again until combined in the food processor, or work in by hand – making sure to work the dough as little as possible so as not to melt the butter.
- Flour your work surface and carefully knead the pie dough until the just comes together.
- Set this in a tupperware or glass container and chill in your fridge overnight or for at least an hour.
- This dough recipe makes 2 pie crusts.
- 1 block of Firm or Extra Firm Tofu, pressed to remove the water
- 3 tbsp Chickpea Flour
- 1/2 cup Almond Milk, unsweetened
- 1 tbsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Red Chilli Flakes
- 1/4 tsp Dried Rosemary
- 1 tsp Black Salt
- 2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- Pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 White Onion, chopped
- 1 cup Mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 cup Broccoli, chopped
- 4 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup Sundried Tomatoes, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup Black Olives, pitted
- 1/4 cup Green Onions
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
Steps: 15 minutes to prep, 30 minutes to bake.
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Flour your work surface and remove your pre-made pie dough from the refrigerator.
- Roll out your pie dough until it is just larger than the circumference of your pie dish.
- Roll the dough onto your rolling pin and then gently lay the dough over and into your pie dish. Press the sides and edges of the dough into the tin before cutting off any excess. You can use the excess dough to fill in any thin or patchy spots.
- Cover your pie dough with a piece of parchment paper and fill the parchment paper with baking beans or uncooked beans.
- Bake this pie dough for 12 minutes while you prep your other ingredients.
- Prep all your veggies.
- In a pan on medium-high heat add 1 tbsp of olive oil and begin frying your onions.
- Once your onions are fragrant add in your mushrooms and garlic, cooking until the mushrooms are browned and have released their moisture – about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the remainder of your veggies (except your green onions) to the pan and cook for an additionally 3 minutes before removing from the heat.
- In a blender or food processor add your tofu, chickpea flour, almond milk, olive oil, spices, and baking powder – blend until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Try to avoid adding excess moisture to this mixture as you blend.
- In a large bowl mix together the cooked vegetables (and green onions) and your blended tofu mixture.
- Pour this mixture into your prebaked pie crust and preheat your oven to 375F.
- Bake this quiche for 30 minutes or until the top looks slightly browned and cracked.
- Allow to cool for another 30 minutes before serving.
- Bon appetite!
- This recipe will keep in the fridge for a week if stored in proper containers.
Per 1 slice-
Calories: 211 cal | Total Fat: 9g |Carbohydrates: 22g | Natural Sugar: 2g | Fibre: 2g | Sodium: 400mg | Protein: 8g