With Concord Grape season coming to an end I can’t think of a better way to celebrate these sweet summer treats than in a flakey & light scone. With the slightly savoury, minty flavours of thyme this scone is sweet, with a hint of something more. Try to have your lunch guests guess what it is!
If you recreate this recipe or any of my others make sure to snap a quick pic and tag me on instagram @logandunn so I can check out your creation!
RECIPE: Makes 10 Scones
Thyme & Concord Grape Scones
- 3 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tsp Thyme, dried
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg, ground
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 3/4 cup Almond Milk, unsweetened
- 5 tbsp Coconut Oil, solid
- zest of Half a Lemon
- 1 cup of Concord Grapes
Steps: 5 minutes to prep, 20 minutes to bake.
- Into a large mixing bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Leave aside the concord grapes and lemon zest for later.
- In a smaller bowl whisk together the wet ingredients.
- “Cut” the coconut oil into the dry ingredients, you want this oil to be as solid as it can be so use it fresh from the fridge. You can cut the oil with a pastry cutter or a fork, you want the dry ingredients to resemble a sand texture when you’re done.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and knead together gently until it forms a shaggy dough.
- To this dough add the grapes and lemon zest, fold together until everything is evenly combined.
- Lightly dust your surface with flour and press your dough into a uniform circle about an inch tall.
- With a bench scraper or sharp knife, cut this dough into 10 equal sized scone shapes.
- Place these scones on a lightly oiled baking sheet, or one covered with parchment paper.
- If it can fit place this baking sheet into your freezer or fridge while you preheat your oven to keep the oil solid.
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Before putting your scones in the oven brush them with an almond milk wash and sprinkle with coconut sugar.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow these scones to cool completely on a cooling rack before consuming.