Pine nuts make a great classic pesto, but for a cheaper alternative I love to use hemp seeds!
I always have a huge jar of bulk hemp around the house and when I notice my basil going bad it’s simple to toss everything into a blender and create a creamy & versatile pesto that will last for days in the fridge. Perfect on pasta, crackers, or atop your cheeseboard this pesto can also be frozen in an ice cube tray to help keep it fresh even longer.
RECIPE: Makes 1 1/2 cups of Pesto
Hemp & Basil Pesto
- 3 packed cups Fresh Basil
- 1/2 cup Hemp Seeds
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Vegan Parmesan
- 5 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- Black Pepper, to taste
Steps: 10 minutes to prep.
- Begin by adding all of the ingredients to a blender or food processor.
- Blend on high speed until everything is fully combined in a creamy pesto sauce, scraping down the sides and re-blending as needed.
- If after about ten minutes your mixture is not coming together add 1 tbsp of water at a time to help it get going.
- Store in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to a week to enjoy on cheese-plates, with crackers, or on your pasta!