RECIPE: Makes 4 servings
Apple Pie Filling
- 3 Apples, diced
- 1 tsp Fresh Ginger, minced
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- Pinch of Cardamom
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tsp Tapioca Starch
- 1 tsp Maple Syrup
- 1/2 cup Water
Stuffed French Toast
- 8 Slices of Bread
- 1 cup Almond Milk
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Scoop Protein Powder (I used Vanilla Profi)
5 minutes prep. 15 minutes to fry.
- Begin by adding all apple pie ingredients, except for the tapioca starch, to a pot and bring to a simmer on medium-high.
- Simmer until the apples have softened and most of the water has evaporated, between 5-10 minutes.
- Add to the pot the tapioca starch and mix until the mixture thickens.
- Now that the apple pie filling is prepared you may whisk together all the ingredients for the french toast batter. The protein powder will act as a binder in place of an egg.
- Take one slice of bread and to it add 1 tsp of coconut butter or vegan butter. This will help your apple pie filling to not soften the bread.
- Add 2 tbsp of the apple pie filling on top of the slice of bread and top with a second slice of bread. You now have a stuffed apple pie sandwhich!
- Dip this sandwhich in the french toast batter and allow it to absorb some of the mixture before carefully flipping it to the other side.
- In a large pan bring butter or coconut oil to high heat before returning it to medium heat to fry the french toast.
- I like to weigh my toast down with a second pan to help it fry on both sides.
- Fry on each side for 5-10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Repeat for all 8 slices of bread and serve with fresh coconut whipped cream, vegan ice cream, or simple maple syrup.
Per 1 serving-
Calories: 306 cal | Total Fat: 8g |Carbohydrates: 52g | Natural Sugar: 19g* | Fibre: 9g | Sodium: 390mg | Protein: 10g
*the majority of the sugar in this recipe is naturally occurring in the apples.