Spicy Thai “Chicken” Lettuce Wraps that’re perfect for sharing and that’ll have you thinking you’re at one of those fancy chain restaurants.
Creamy, sweet, and a wee bit spicy, the Thai Peanut Sauce is the perfect pairing for these wraps, thai bowls, and salads alike. Get creative with it, and don’t forget to tag me on instagram @logandunn if you remake this recipe!
RECIPE: Makes 8-12 Servings.
Spicy Thai Peanut Sauce
- 1/4 cup Smooth Peanut Butter
- 1/4 cup Soy Sauce (or Tamari)
- 2 tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Lime Juice
- 2 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/4 cup Sweet Thai Chilli Paste
- 1 tbsp Sriracha
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/2g tsp Ground Garlic
“Chicken” Lettuce Wraps
- 1 Head of Red Leaf Lettuce (or Romaine)
- 1 1/2 cup Texturized Vegetable Protein (chunks) – soaked in 1 1/2 cup HOT Water
- 1/2 cup Water Chestnuts, chopped
- 1 Shallot, diced
- 1/4 cup Cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup Peanuts
- 1 Green Onion, chopped
- 1/4 Red Onion, diced
- 4 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp minced Ginger
- 2 cups Soy Sprouts
- Lime juice & Red Pepper Flakes to garnish
10 minutes prep, 15 minutes to assemble.
- Begin by combining all the ingredients for the sauce into a large bowl, and whisk well to combine.
- Next boil some water and soak the texturized vegetable protein in 1 1/2 cups of the water once boiled. Allow this to sit until all the water has soaked up into the tvp.
- Add 1 tbsp of sesame oil to a pan on medium heat and fry the shallot until translucent.
- To the same pan, add the mushrooms, ginger and garlic and fry until fragrant.
- With two forks rip the texturized vegetable protein into smaller pieces, until it resembles shredded chicken.
- Once your vegetables are nice and fragrant and browned add the soaked and torn tvp into the pan and fry until the water has evaporated out and the pieces are golden brown in colour (10-15 minutes).
- Remove the pan from the heat and add 1/4 cup of the spicy thai peanut sauce, coating everything well.
- Serve with fresh lettuce, veggies, and saucy fried tvp mixture.
- To assemble: to a lettuce wrap add soy sprouts, saucy fried tvp mixture, green onions, red onions, peanuts, cilantro, lime juice and chili flakes.