Can we be real for a moment?
Convenience foods are way over-priced and usually can be made at home for wayyy less.
Flatbread? Expensive, all it is is flour, water, and salt (so why is it $6??).
We feel that hummus and roasted chickpeas are in the same boat.
Skip the supermarket, no need for plastic packaging or paying for a brand name when you can make your own vegan white bean hummus flatbread wraps with fresh veggies & roasted chickpeas for half the price!
We make these super quick and easy flatbreads at least 3 times a week, simply mix the ingredients and knead until a dough forms. Split the dough into 6 pieces and roll them out as thin as you can before frying for a few minutes. Simple right?
You can also store the dough in the freezer for later if you only want to make a wrap for you or one other pal (they don’t last long once cooked so be weary).
The creamy, smoked hummus and crunchy roasted chickpeas are high in satiating protein and pair perfectly with the fresh veggies and tahini to make these wraps a quick, cheap, and easy meal that you can throw together for lunch in a hot second.
If you make these wraps for yourself don’t forget to take a photo and tag us on instagram at @lavenderandlavish, or show us what other ideas you have for using these homemade flatbreads!
RECIPE: Makes 6 Flatbreads.
- 1 cup Artisanal Bread Flour
- 3/4 cup Cold Water
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Sweet Paprika
- 1/2 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- Dash of Cinnamon
5 minutes prep time, 15 minutes to cook.
- Add all your dry ingredients to a stand mixer, or a bowl and thoroughly combine.
- Slowly add the water until a dough comes together.
- Let the stand mixer knead the dough for about 5 minutes, or knead by hand for 10 minutes.
- Cut the dough into 6 equal size balls and roll them out as thin as you can get them without tearing the dough, on a floured surface.
- Heat a non-stick pan on high heat until it is smoking, then turn down to medium heat.
- Cook each flatbread for about 3 minutes on each side, or until brown bubbles appear, if they puff up just push them down (this steam helps to cook the inside of your flatbread).
- How easy was that?
Smoked White Bean Hummus
- 3 cups Cooked (or canned) White Beans
- 1/2 Red Onion, diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp Tahini
- 1 tbsp Water
- 2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- Handful of Cilantro, chopped
- Cracked Black Pepper to taste
5 minutes prep time.
- Soak your white beans overnight and then boil for an hour prior to creating your wraps, alternatively just use canned pre-cooked beans.
- With a potato masher smash your white beans in a bowl until a “chunky”-hummus consistency is achieved
- Add into the white bean smash your diced red onion, minced garlic, lemon juice, tahini, water, chopped cilantro and spices.
- Stir well to combine all the ingredients.
- Place in a container and store in the fridge to set.
- 2 cups cooked (or canned) Chickpeas
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/8 tsp Cinnamon
- Cracked Black Pepper
2 minutes prep time, 25 minutes to roast.
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Combine your pre-cooked chickpeas with the spices and toss well.
- Bake on an oven safe tray for 25 minutes, tossing halfway through to ensure all the chickpeas roast evenly.
- Add 1/4 cup of the white bean smash to each flatbread, then top with sliced cucumber, carrot ribbons, chopped red cabbage, black olives, diced red onion, the roasted chickpeas, and a drizzle of tahini.