The day is here! The night before Christmas Eve!
Everyone’s in the kitchen, ovens fired up, ready to gooo.
On day 4 of our holiday dinner series we bring to you the main dish: oven roasted Christmas seitan.
Loaded with beefy, savoury, holiday goodness this seitan roast is boiled first and then baked to carmelize the outer layer and bring out the best it has to offer.
Filled with holiday herbs and roasted with love this seitan is as prepared as easy as:
Perfect made the night before your holiday feast, or served hot from the oven this seitan is the perfect centre piece for your Christmas feast.
Happy Holidays from us at @lavenderandlavish, we hope you have enjoyed the recipes we’ve created for you and don’t forget to let us know if you serve any of them at your own holiday dinner! Snap a quick pic and tag us on instagram @lavenderandlavish so we can check them out.
We have one final holiday recipe for you on the final day of our Holiday series, stay tuned tomorrow morning for something sweet. See you then!
RECIPE: Makes 10 Slices, 5 Servings.
Holiday Oven Roasted Seitan
- 1 cup of Vital Wheat Gluten
- 3 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme, or 1 spring fresh Thyme
- 1 tsp Dried Rosemary
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Dried Sage
- 1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar free BBQ Sauce
- 2 tbsp Liquid Aminos (or Soy Sauce)
- 1 cup Vegetable Broth
- + 4 cups of Vegetable Broth to simmer the Seitan in.
10 minute prep time, 45 minutes to simmer, 20 minutes to bake.
- Mix together your dry ingredients in one bowl and your wet ingredients in a second bowl.
- Combine the wet with the dry and knead into a “dough”.
- Knead this dough for about 5 minutes or until the gluten is activated.
- Bring about 4 cups of vegetable broth to a simmer on medium-high (just enough to fully submerge your seitan roast.
- Most recipes call for you to wrap your seitan in plastic wrap before simmering, but that’s only to keep the shape and we find that we like ours rustic and full of vegetable brothy flavour.
- Simply roll your seitan dough into a log and simmer in the covered pot of vegetable broth for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes preheat your oven to 350F and bake the seitan on a baking tray for 20 minutes, flipping it after 10 minutes.