Hello from the cottage!! We hope your week’s going well so far, we know ours has been. A few nights around the fire and my heart is longing for the warm treats of the coming season.
What with our retreat to the north, & a lazy week away, we figured we’d share an oldie from the days when we would post our recipes solely to the instagram page. Stay tuned for a few more of these coming back in the near future as we think that there’s more than a couple that we think deserve their own spot on this blog!
These loaves are the perfect alternative to a muffin when you need to add some spice to your morning routine. Easy to prepare, with a frosting made from your favourite vanilla protein powder, these are a great treat to eat while relaxing after that early jog through the first light of day.
What are you doing still reading this?! Get a coffee brewing & set aside your favourite book, take some time to relax, you deserve it!
We hope you enjoy the aroma of freshly baked apple pie that will soon fill your home as you bake up these mini loaves. Your taste buds will feel warmed and at peace with the perfect combination of spices that give these treats their irresistible flavour. If you recreate this weeks recipe don’t forget to tag us on instagram so we can see how they turned out for you!
RECIPE: Makes 8 Loaves.
Spiced Apple Pie Mini Loaves
- 1 1/4 cup Rolled Oats
- 3/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tbsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp All Spice
- 1/4 tsp Ginger
- 1/8 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 Flax Eggs (2 tbsp Ground Flax Seeds to 6 tbsp Water)
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil, melted
- 1/2 cup Almond Milk, Unsweetened
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 2 fresh Apples, chopped
- 1/4 cup Pecans, chopped
- 5 tbsp Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/4 cup Coconut Sugar
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 3 tbsp Protein Powder of your choice (Vanilla Flavoured)
- 3 tbsp Almond Milk or water
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil, melted
15 minute prep, 20 minute bake time, 30 minutes to cool.
- Set aside 2 tbsp ground flax mixed with 6 tbsp water to gelatinize into a flax egg.
- While that is happening pulse together the dry ingredients in a food processor to break down the oats a bit. You can add the pecans now, or chop them by hand and add in afterwards. Either works!
- Add in the wet ingredients, as well as the flax egg & combine well.
- Fold in the chopped apples and make sure they’re distributed evenly.
- Distribute this batter evenly between 8 mini loaf or muffin tins that have been sprayed with oil.
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- To make the crumble mix together the whole wheat flour, coconut sugar, and the semi-melted coconut oil. Crumble evenly over each of the 8 loaves.
- Bake the loaves for 20 minutes or until the crumble has become golden brown.
- Allow to cool on a cooling wrack for 25-30 minutes & then place in the fridge.
- While the loaves are in the fridge mix together the 3 tbsp protein powder with 3 tbsp or water or almond milk. Mix in the 1 tbsp of melted coconut oil, and you should have a nice runny glaze. If it seems too thick add in water or almond milk 1 tsp at a time. This will depend on what type of protein powder you use.
- Remove the loaves from the fridge and drizzle with the protein glaze.