Sick of feeling lied to about how granola is a “healthy” breakfast option? Me too. But hey! Don’t worry, we got you, this version is free of refined sugars, as well as oils (honestly by accident) to ensure that you don’t feel weighed down or tired after enjoying this crunchy & sweet treat! Whip up a batch with ingredients you already have at home, for half the price of those sugary store bought brands.
The most annoying part is that these expensive brand name granolas tend to be marketed as a super healthy breakfast option when really most of them are loaded with refined sugars and oils to keep customers coming back for more. But if the box claims it’s good for you, then it must be right?
This recipe was a long time coming & I mean it made sense to create, seeing as how I’ve been using date paste to sweeten most of my treats for a while now, I figured I could do the same with granola! When I went to grab my handy jar of coconut oil I noticed that it was empty and… well all of you oil free folks are in luck because the recipe still worked! No oil necessary!
This warming blend of spices lends perfectly to the crispy & crunchy oats and nuts for a heart breakfast option on it’s own, or to top off a cinnamon-chocolate smoothie bowl!
Simply blend up those dates and mix everything together well before baking and you’re done! I couldn’t have made this recipe any simpler.
Let us know if you make it at home by tagging us on facebook or instagram! Enjoy!
RECIPE: Makes ~2 cups of Granola
Sugar Free Chai Spiced Granola
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp crushed almonds
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup dates, soaked
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cardamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp all spice
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp crushed hazelnuts (or walnut/pecans)
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
10 minutes prep, 45 minutes to bake.
- Blend dates with 1 cup of water until a date-paste forms.
- Combine all the other ingredients and mix well with the date paste.
- Preheat the oven to 325F and bake the granola for 45 minutes or until crunchy and golden brown.
- Stir the granola half way through baking for a less bunches, or leave alone for more clumps of oats (we prefer it this way).
- The granola will last in a jar or other container for up to a week.