As you may be coming to realize by now, citrus is up there as a favourite flavour of mine & I thought that it was the perfect pairing to add some chill summer vibes to these raw vegan donut holes! The perfect snack for lounging by the pool or hosting a night by the bonfire, I promise everyone will enjoy these little bliss bites.
Growing up in Canada, Timbits were more of a staple in my diet than a treat. On the way to the rink it was known that mom would get a coffee from the drive-thru & the kids would get a 10-pack of half chocolate, half glazed donut holes to snack on while watching the game.
Now that I eat a plant-based & mostly whole foods diet Timbits just aren’t on the menu anymore, but that doesn’t mean that I have to miss out on this treat!
These raw vegan donut holes are the perfect substitute for a more nutrient dense, plant-based option. While still a treat that should be consumed in moderation, you’ll feel a lot less weighed down & a lot more energetic after consuming one of these little bites compared to their doughy-fried counterparts.
I mean just look at how cute they are, who could resist?
The hardest part of this recipe is, of course, remembering to soak your cashews overnight. But in a pinch you can also boil raw cashews for 25-30 minutes to give them that soft texture as well.
To begin, combine everything except for the dates into a food processor or high speed blender and blend until fully combined, then add in the dates one by one until the mixture forms a ball of “dough”. Shape that ball into 9 smaller bite sized donut holes & allow them to chill in the freezer until firm.
Coat with your mixture of coconut oil, lemon, and vanilla and you’re done!!
We also like this one with cocoa powder & mint in place of the coconut & lemon. Yumm!
Let us know if you try out the recipe or make new versions of your own!
RECIPE: Makes 9 Donut Holes
Raw Donut Holes
- 2/3 cups cashews (soaked overnight)
- 1/3 cup dates
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/4 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of one lemon
- juice of 1/4 of a lemon
- 6 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2 tsp lemon extract
- 2 tbsp melted coconut butter
Overnight soaking, 10 minutes prep, chill for 5 hours
- Blend all the raw donut hole ingredients, except for dates, in your food processor or high speed blender until smooth.
- Add in the dates one by one until a uniform ball forms.
- Measure out 9 tbsp amounts of the “dough” & roll into balls.
- Place these 9 balls into the freezer for 20 minutes or until firm.
- Melted the coconut oil & combine with vanilla extract & lemon extract.
- Coat each ball 2 times with the oil mixture.
- Place in freezer for 5 minutes to set.
- Drizzle with coconut butter and allow to set in the freezer for 5 hours or overnight.