Taking your skincare routine zero-waste may seem like a daunting step, but the beauty of it is that you don’t have to commit all at once! Slowly replace old products as you finish them, & in time you’ll have a full regiment that is plastic free!
In avoiding products that come wrapped in layers of plastic packaging we can easily cut down on the amount of non-degradable plastics that end up in our landfills for years, or entering our water systems and harming the wildlife that inhabit these spaces.
It may be tempting in the beginning to purchase many package-free products from companies such as Lush (their Jumping Juniper shampoo bar is my current secret obsession), and this is a great starting point, but you don’t need to spend all that money in order to get silky smooth, exfoliated skin. The secret is (& you’ve probably already guessed it) coconut oil! This liquid gold is super moisturizing, antibacterial, and anti-fungal to help with alleviating any skin conditions and rehydrating your skin after a quick buffing from the ground coffee beans.
With only a few main ingredients, this deliciously-scented body bar is super simple and quick to throw together. There’s no longer any excuse to continue neglecting this key step in your skincare routine!Grab an ice-cube tray, melt down some coconut oil, add a few drops of pure vanilla extract (or your favourite essential oil), throw in a dash of sea salt & some ground coffee beans, freeze & you’re done! How easy was that?
Store your bars in the fridge and use 2-3 times a week for nourished, and renewed skin without any of the guilt or the price-tag that comes with those store purchased products.
Recipe: Makes 3 Bars
- 1/4 c Unrefined Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 4 tbsp Coffee Grounds
- 1/8 tsp Sea Salt
5 minutes prep, 20 minutes to set
- begin by melting the coconut oil either over a double-broiler or in a microwave.
- add to this the vanilla extract, coffee grounds and sea salt.
- pour the mixture evenly into 3 cubes of an ice-cube tray or into a small glass-container.
- place the mixture in the freezer to set for 20 minutes, or until solid.
- pop the cubes out of your ice cube tray, or if using a glass container; slice the larger square into 3-4 equal portions.
- use immediately or store in the refrigerator for use as you please!