Inspired by the days when all that we ate were bowls on bowls on bowls (not that that ever ended really… what can I say, plates are for chumps), we present to you something sweet that isn’t a “sometimes” treat!
Low in calories and high in protein, these sweet & sour sesame tofu bowls are perfect for a quick and light dinner, or lunch, that’s a breeze to prepare.
Now, the sauce portion of this week’s recipe may reveal itself to be a little untraditional in nature, but it definitely goes to show that you can make due with what you have in the kitchen to create a killer meal even if you forget those ingredients that you swear you added to your grocery list for the week.
Sweet, tangy, & a lil bit sour. The concept for this tofu bowl popped into my head and was exactly what I’d be craving… except for the problem that I had none of the ingredients I needed for a traditional sweet & sour sauce… back to square one.
When you’re determined to eat a killer bowl, without spending $14 at some overpriced chain restaurant of course, you’ll find that a quick rummage through the depths of your fridge just might reveal that you probably have enough ingredients to at least cover the bases; something a lil sweet, paired with a dash of something sour, add in that umami flavour, and you got it, tofu bowls are back on the menu.
After mixing together more than a few different combinations, I settled upon the perfect recipe for a makeshift “use-what-you-have” sauce that honestly is comparable to the more traditional sweet & sour sauce we’re accustomed to.
Simply marinate the tofu in our sauce (or a new creation of your own) and either coat & fry, or bake until crispy, and add these lil protein filled bites to your favourite bowl. Dinner never sounded so easy.
Recipe: Makes 2 Bowls
- 1/2 c sugar-free barbecue sauce
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp worcestershire
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp liquid-aminos
- 1 cup wild or white rice
- 1/2 block extra firm tofu
- 2 green onions
- 1 tsp corn starch
- sesame seeds to garnish
10 minutes prep (marinate overnight), 30 minutes to bake/5 minutes to fry
- mix together in a bowl the barbecue sauce, apple cider vinegar, lime juice, worcestershire, ground ginger, garlic powder, and liquid-aminos.
- set aside 1/3 of the sauce and cover.
- chop half a block of extra firm tofu into equal sized cubes.
- marinate the tofu cubes in the remaining 2/3 of the sweet & sour sauce.
- leave the marinated tofu and remaining sauce in the fridge overnight.
- bring 2 cups of water to a boil and add 1 cup of your preferred rice.
- cover and reduce the heat, allowing it to simmer for about an hour or until the rice kernels pop. divide the rice between two bowls.
- chop up 2 green onions and add 1 to each of the bowls.
- take the marinated tofu and extra sauce out of the fridge.
- add 1 tsp corn starch to the remaining sauce and coat the marinated tofu in the mixture.
- either bake the tofu at 400F on a nonstick sheet for 30 minutes or fry in coconut oil until crispy.
- add the tofu to your bowl and top with sesame seeds! enjoy!
this recipe can easily be doubled to make 4 bowls or reduced to make only 1.